This event, co-organized by the UN Counter-Terrorism Committee Executive Directorate (CTED), the UN Office for Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT), and UNIDIR, aimed to raise awareness and knowledge of the different ways and means through which terrorist groups and those who commit acts of terrorism acquire different types of weapons. The event also promoted collective action for the implementation of resolution 2370 (2017), relevant subsequent resolutions, good practices and different measures to prevent the acquisition of different types of weapons by terrorist groups.
Under the United Nations Global Counter-Terrorism Coordination Compact, the Working Group on Border Management and Law Enforcement (BMLE WG) relating to Counter-Terrorism, chaired by UNCTED, is implementing the joint project working towards “Guidelines for Member States to facilitate the implementation of Security Council resolution 2370 (2017) and the relevant international standards and good practices on preventing terrorists from acquiring weapons”, funded by the United Nations Counter-Terrorism Centre (UNCCT) of UNOCT and co-implemented by UNCCT and UNIDIR, in close cooperation and collaboration with BMLE WG member entities.
The event looked to raise the awareness of Member States and other stakeholders gathered during the 2021 United Nations Counter-Terrorism Week by inter alia providing an update on the joint project and introducing work towards the development of, and elements of, technical guidelines to facilitate the implementation of resolution 2370 (2017) (which is expected to promote their future use, once they are released).
The virtual side event will consist of an opening session, to be followed by interventions and an expert panel featuring presentations by experts on various aspects of preventing terrorists from acquiring weapons and the implementation of Security Council resolution 2370 (2017) and other relevant resolutions. CTED will act as the moderator. The event is sponsored by the Russian Federation.
UNIDIR’s work in this area is supported by the Government of Germany.
- Under-Secretary-General Vladimir Voronkov, United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT)
- Assistant Secretary-General Michèle Coninsx, Executive Director, United Nations Counter-Terrorism Committee Executive Directorate (CTED)
- Representative of the Russian Federation (tbc)
Moderator: Ms. Anne-Maria Seesmaa, Legal Officer, CTED
– Intervention: Ms. Maria Eugenia de los Angeles Rettori, Head, Preventing and Responding to WMD/CBRN Terrorism Unit, United Nations Counter-Terrorism Centre (UNCCT)
-Expert panel speakers:
- Ms. Simonetta Grassi, Chief, Head of the Global Firearms Programme, Organized Crime and Illicit Trafficking Branch / Implementation Support Section, United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- Ms. Katherine Prizeman, Political Affairs Officer, Conventional Arms Branch, Office for Disarmament Affairs (UNODA)
- Ms. Devin Morrow, Head of Regional Operations, Conflict Armament Research (CAR)
- Mr. Hardy Giezendanner, Researcher, Conventional Arms Programme, UNIDIR
WHEN & WHERE
Online | 24 June 2021, 18:30 – 20:00 CEST (12:30-14:00 EST)