The United Nations Institute for Disarmament Research (UNIDIR) and the European Union (EU) are pleased to invite you to a hybrid side event on “Narratives on the Middle East WMD-Free Zone: Historical accounts, drivers, and themes” to be held on the margins of the NPT Review Conference on August 10, 2022, at 13:15 - 14:30 EDT.
Delegates attending the NPT Review Conference are invited to attend in person and do not need to register. Other interested participants can attend virtually by registering here.
The event will introduce UNIDIR’s Middle East WMD-Free Zone Project’s forthcoming publication “Narratives on the Middle East WMD-Free Zone: Historical accounts, drivers, and themes” on 10 August in the margins of the NPT Review Conference. The report presents seven “narratives” or subjective accounts of the Zone, exploring the main objectives, strategies, themes, and ideas of key states toward the ME WMDFZ.
The publication is based on interviews of 80 current and former officials as well as experts from over 16 other states and regional and international organizations conducted by the ME WMDFZ Project team. The publication presents seven “narratives” or subjective accounts of the Zone. Each narrative explores the main objectives, strategies, themes, and ideas of key states toward the ME WMDFZ. Another objective of the publication and the side event is to facilitate insights and understanding of different perspectives that could assist in bridging gaps and uncovering instances of convergence, divergence, and possible misunderstandings on the Zone.
The NPT RevCon side-event panel will feature senior experts who can reflect on specific drivers, and themes across each of the five narratives in light of their experiences and expertise.
• Read the digital infographic on the Narratives publications and follow along with the event.
Opening remarks by Dr. Robin Geiss, UNIDIR Director, and Ambassador Silvio Gonzato, Chargé d’Affaires a.i., Delegation of the European Union to the United Nations.
• Dr. Farzan Sabet, Researcher, UNIDIR
• Dr. Hanna Notte, Senior Research Associate, Vienna Center for Disarmament and Nonproliferation, ACRS Oral History Project
• Mr. Thomas Markram, Director and Deputy to the High Representative for Disarmament Affairs, UN Office for Disarmament Affairs
• Amb. Wael Al Assad, Senior Fellow, UNIDIR, and former Ambassador of the League of Arab States to Austria and Permanent Observer to International Organizations in Vienna
• Dr. Ali Vaez, Iran Project Director and Senior Adviser to the President, Crisis Group
Moderator: Dr. Chen Zak, Project Head, UNIDIR
Wednesday 10 August 2022, 13:15-14:30 EDT (17:15-18:30 CET), Conference Room 4, UNHQ, New York.
Delegates attending the NPT Review Conference are invited to attend in person. Other interested participants can attend virtually by registering here.
For any question, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.