1. The Director shall be appointed by the Secretary-General of the United Nations, after consultations with the Board.
2. The Director shall have overall responsibility for the organization, direction and administration of the Institute, in accordance with general directives formulated by the Board and shall, inter alia:
(a) Prepare and submit the draft work programme of the Institute to the Board;
(b) Prepare and submit a proposed annual budget to the Board in accordance with articles VII and VIII of this statute;
(c) Execute the work programme and make the expenditure authorized in the approved budget;
(d) Appoint and direct the staff of the Institute;
(e) Set up ad hoc consultative bodies as may be necessary;
(f) Negotiate arrangements with Governments and international as well as national, public and private agencies with a view to offering and receiving services related to the activities of the Institute;
(g) Accept, subject to the provisions of article VII, paragraph 4, below, voluntary contributions to the Institute;
(h) Co-ordinate the work of the Institute with that of other international and national programmes in similar fields;
(i) Report to the Board, as appropriate, on the Institute’s activities and the execution of its work programmes;
(j) Submit to the General Assembly reports approved by the Board.
3. The staff of the Institute shall be appointed by the Director under letters of appointment signed by him in the name of the Secretary-General and limited to service with the Institute. The staff shall be responsible to the Director in the exercise of their functions.
4. The terms and conditions of service of the Director and the staff shall be those provided in the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations, subject to such arrangements for special rules or terms of appointment as may be proposed by the Director and approved by the Secretary-General.
5. The Director and the staff of the Institute shall not seek or receive instructions from any Government or from any authority external to the United Nations. They shall refrain from any action which might reflect on their position as international officials responsible only to the Organization.
6. The Director and the staff of the Institute are officials of the United Nations and are therefore covered by Article 105 of the Charter of the United Nations and by other international agreements and United Nations resolutions defining the status of such officials.