Space security is of growing importance as the activities of all States become increasingly dependent on space-based systems. Lack of constraints on possible counterspace systems could lead to increased tensions and instability in space, threatening the continued use and exploration of space for peaceful purposes. To address this challenge, States have proposed multiple initiatives. Two notable examples of this are the Group of Governmental Experts on further practical measures for the prevention of an arms race in outer space, and the Open-ended working group on reducing space threats through norms, rules and principles of responsible behaviours.
Our Common Agenda Policy No. 7 by the Secretary-General calls for complementarity among the various workstreams aimed at preventing any armed conflict or an arms race in outer space. The complementarity between these processes could benefit from further exploration to build common understandings and work towards effectively achieving space security in a mutually reinforcing manner. This UNIDIR-UNODA event will unpack the different mandates, approaches and objectives of these initiatives, and consider how States and other stakeholders could contribute —either directly or indirectly— to advancing space security through these initiatives.
A recording of this event is available on our YouTube Channel, and below.
WHEN & WHERE
Tuesday, 24 October, 2023 | 13:15–14:30 EDT | Online, via Zoom
13.15 – 13.20: Opening Remarks
- Robin Geiss, Director, UNIDIR
- Adedeji Ebo, Director and Deputy to the High Representative for Disarmament Affairs
13.20 – 14.20: Presentation and Discussion (including Q&A with the audience)
- Jessica West, Senior Researcher, Space Security, Project Ploughshares
- Guoyu Wang, Associate Professor and Dean of the Academy of Air, Space Policy and Law, Beijing Institute of Technology
- Almudena Azcárate Ortega, Researcher, Space Security and WMD Programmes, UNIDIR
Moderator: Sarah Erickson, Research Assistant, Space Security and WMD Programmes, UNIDIR
14.20 – 14.30: Closing remarks
- Bassem Hassan, Minister Plenipotentiary, Director, Department of Disarmament and Peaceful Uses of Nuclear Energy Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Egypt
To register please click here.
For any questions, please contact Sarah ERICKSON at email@example.com