UNIDIR believes in the power of youth to secure an inclusive and peaceful future.
One of our key objectives that sets us apart from other youth-oriented initiatives is our mission to help identify and cultivate the next generation of researchers and young global talent in the areas of disarmament and arms control.
UNIDIR’s disarmament endeavors towards Youth covers the following exciting initiatives:
- A Global Disarmament Essay Competition to raise general awareness on disarmament issues among younger generations;
- UNIDIR’s Graduate Professional Programme to build disarmament research capacity;
- A Model United Nations Conference on Disarmament to develop experienced future leaders; and,
- An Online Youth Disarmament Orientation Course.
- 57 Graduate Professionals since the launch of the Programme in 2020
- 6 Interactive modules as part of the e-Learning Youth Disarmament Orientation Course
- 100+ Students have participated in the Model United Nations
Key Youth Initiatives
The UNIDIR Youth Disarmament Orientation Course (Y-DOC) covers the key concepts of disarmament and arms control, and the latest insights on weapons of mass destruction, small arms and light weapons, security in outer space, artificial intelligence, and cybersecurity.
This essay competition invites students and young professionals to explore, in their own words, the relationship between disarmament, security and development, and present concrete initiatives in these areas.